My photo
, Wyoming
Thanks for visiting Sauce du Jour. Feel free to share a great recipe, leave a comment, or make me dinner. I'll bring hors d' oeuvres and the wine! To visit my website go to www.tamaralittrell.com Thanks for visiting the Sauce ~Tammi

Jun 22, 2012

Thai Cusine 101

I held a Thai cooking class recently and not only did we have a blast, but we ate some pretty great Thai food. Because, remember folks, this is Hickville, I had to go online to find rice papers. A little Asian market via Amazon came through with the best rice papers ever.

Next I had to recruit my daughter, The Know-It-All, to make a run to Whole Foods for me and then Fed X me lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and Thai Basil.

Kevin's pretty proud of his Spring Roll!
Armed and dangerous with real Thai ingredients we started the evening by making Thai spring rolls. Everyone got in on the fun by making their own rolls and sampling the two dipping sauces; a traditional soy based one and a killer peanut sauce. Cathy tried to screw up the soy dipping sauce by confusing a teaspoon for a tablespoon, but under Becky's watchful eye she pulled it off  before someone got high on sake. Dang!
     Big T = Tablespoon, little t = teaspoon, Cathy! Pay attention, there will be a test!

Becky made a dang near-perfect Spring Roll!
For our second course I made one of my favorite new recipes; Sweet and Spicy Lemon Shrimp. Having the fresh ingredients on hand elevated this dish to the next level.  I promise to share that recipe soon because you are gonna want to make it!
  
Next, Scott and Kevin made my Thai Coconut-Lime Soup with Chicken. Those guys knocked it out of the park with the fresh kaffir lime and lemongrass. It's an amazing soup, loaded with so much flavor. Scott even declared it was the BEST soup he had EVER eaten. Seriously! You can find the recipe under the "Soups-Salads-Sides" tab at the top of this page.
     Karen, Lisa and Dana held down the bar stools and oversaw Cathy and Becky while they made the Thai Curry Pasta and the Tomato-Ginger Chutney, which was our final course.      

Amanda was the master of the Spring Roll and the swish!
After about 3 hours of eating I rolled every one out the door, but not before we made a plan to get together for the next class. Stay tuned...

For the Spring Rolls Thai Dipping Sauce and Peanut Sauce recipes click on the "Appetizer" tab at the top of this page.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing. I wish you lived closer so i could of come to this class. I love Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks June! Wish you lived closer too, but at least you probably can get good Thai in SD. :)

      Delete